Friday, June 12, 2009

There You Go Again, Paul Krugman ...

... being shrill.*

I'm delighted to see that Krugman's latest column is at the top of the NYT's Most Emailed list. He's not the first to say what he says (even this lowly blogger has taken note), but it's good to see the message being delivered from his prominent platform. And, as always, he says it well.

The point of the column is that many right-wing media personalities, along with many prominent conservatives and even elected Republicans, are if not directly responsible for the recent nuts and their shooting sprees, then indisputably guilty of fostering a climate that feeds directly into far-right paranoia.

I'm not calling for reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine or any other form of official sanction that would in any way inhibit people's free speech. But I do think it is right and proper that all of us put as much pressure as we can on these right-wing blowhards, and on those who cut their paychecks, to stop being so grotesquely irresponsible.

(even though I'm sure I would have eventually gotten to PK myself, h/t: Gerry Canavan)



* If you share some of my reading habits, you of course recognize that when speaking of PK, this is a compliment.

No comments:

ShareThis