Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Whoa

After the initial post, a follow-up defense of his antics, and another follow-up defense, guess what next went up, late last night on The Corner?

My Apologies to Publius   [Ed Whelan]

On reflection, I now realize that, completely apart from any debate over our respective rights and completely apart from our competing views on the merits of pseudonymous blogging, I have been uncharitable in my conduct towards the blogger who has used the pseudonym Publius. Earlier this evening, I sent him an e-mail setting forth my apology for my uncharitable conduct. As I stated in that e-mail, I realize that, unfortunately, it is impossible for me to undo my ill-considered disclosure of his identity. For that reason, I recognize that Publius may understandably regard my apology as inadequate.

Well, yes, it is. Let us hope nothing happens to publius as a result of the action you can't undo. Still, better than nothing, Ed. You've come to the right conclusion, albeit late, and apologized, albeit less handsomely than you might have. So, good for you.

Shoutout to everyone who spoke up on behalf of publius, some of whom I linked to while in the middle of registering my own disapproval of Whelan.

The final response from publius is up on Obsidian Wings.



And, though it is now somewhat moot, Sadly, No!'s shorter of Michael Krauss, one of Whelan's defenders in this mess, is teh awesome. They are approaching Daniel Davies levels at footnoting. Yes, that is high praise indeed.

[Added 2009-06-09 15:45] Interesting fallout from this: two other regulars at NRO revealed themselves today as pseudonymous bloggers. That is, they didn't reveal their meatspace identities, but they did acknowledge that their normal-sounding names are, in fact, pen names: Jack Dunphy and David Kahane.

[Added 2009-06-10 04:36] Follow-up on the apology from Whelan. (h/t: John Cole)

No comments:

ShareThis